Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Fake Dates and Frustration - Part 1

I’ve had a rough week.

Last week I was invited by my co-worker to go to Sunday’s Dodger game against the Cubs. I had reservations about going because, as I’ve written about in the past, I do not like him the way I’m sure he likes me. I felt less unsure when he mentioned that “they” had gotten tickets and he had an extra. So in my mind, it was a group outing, with no pressure.

Then the weekend rolled around and out of no where, homeboy sends me a message saying that he already picked our tickets up and would I be willing to pick him up and we ride together. Sounds harmless, but I immediately felt like this guy was trying to figure out a way to get me alone. I was not down with that. In fact, it irritated me. I started feeling like this guy was turning this into a date against my will.

Well, right before he texted me all that, my sister Sandy had called telling me that she had heard that I was going and that she wanted to go to the game SO BAD. She wanted to know if I would drive with her so that we could both save money on parking. I agreed. So when dude asked if I could get him, I was relieved to have an honest reason why I couldn’t.

Well sure enough, Sandy didn’t end up getting tickets because her fiancé had to work and she cancelled on me, which made me upset (I will get to that in a minute). So now I felt like I was stuck. I didn’t want to look like I had lied about my excuse, but I also didn’t want to tell him that I was freed up because I DIDN’T WANT TO HAVE TO BE ALONE WITH HIM outside of work. (Going to lunch on a workday is a lot different from being alone with someone on our free time.) I was extremely frustrated, but I finally just decided that I would try to find some way out of it or just show up and then tell him that she flaked.

That Sunday morning we were going to a Bridal Expo for Sandy. I was not in the best of moods because I was dreading this baseball game and I was upset with Sandy because after her revelation that she was not going to the Dodger game at the last minute, it rustled up feelings of resentment towards her and many others who have frequently flaked on me. I’m just tired of being flaked on! (See my post titled Flake-ademic, which details my feelings towards flakes in general.)

To make things worse, I fully intended to get drunk off of some free champagne at the expo so that I could use it as an excuse not to go, but God didn’t like that one (rightfully so), because when we showed up we discovered that there was no free alcohol. Mind you, we’ve been to several of these and they all had free champagne, but of course this one didn’t. Ay ay ay!

So, I was now frustrated about this wannabe date, Sandy’s flaky ways, and the absence of free liquor. Needless to say, I was not the nicest person in the world and Sandy did pick up on it.

To be continued...

No comments: