Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Treasure in a box...

So, my mom left behind a giant pile of books, which my sister then proceeded to toss into a large box for her to come look through one of these days and either take with her or throw away/donate. I was cleaning up and decided to rearrange the books neatly in the box so that they weren't spilling out all over the place. In the process I came across some interesting finds: some historical books (which I definitely will be looking at); a devotional by the authors of the Left Behind series (which I have been reading every night for about a week); and a beat-up, old, hardcover book that my sisters (and possibly I) scribbled all over called A Shepherd Looks at Psalm 23.

I brought the last one to work, pulled out my big eraser, and started trying to clean it up. Fortunately, most of the scribbles were in pencil. Most of them. (Ay ay ay! We were bad... lol)

As I was doing so, I decided to look the book up and see if there were any reviews. WOW. Were there! All positive too. Several people talk about how it's one of their favorite books of all time, how well it explains Psalm 23, and just basically how wonderful the book is.

My interest is definitely peaked.

Here is a description of the book from the back cover:

More than a quarter-century and 1.5 million copies since it was first published, A Shepherd Looks at Psalm 23 continues to inspire and encourage with its now-classic insights into the heart of the Good Shepherd, Jesus Christ. Drawing on what he learned during his own years as a shepherd, Phillip Keller leads and prods the reader to the green pastures of discovery and the cool waters of fulfillment hidden in the "Shepherd Psalm." Pleasure and enlightenment await those willing to follow his careful leading. Page by page, Keller reveals new facets of the Shepherd of Psalm 23 and his untiring expression of Christ's love for those who trust in him as their guide, protector, source of provision, and faithful keeper. Experience Psalm 23 in a new way. See with the Shepherd's eyes, touch with his hands, and feel with his heart through this intimate look into the person of our Lord, the Great Shepherd . . . and ourselves, the "sheep of his pasture."

Can't wait to crack it open.

No comments: