Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Congrats, “Piña Colada!”

Dad, Katie, and Mom at Katie's Graduation


So last night my baby sister graduated from LA Mission College. Woohoo! First one of us to get an actual degree! Now she’s onto another few years to get her American Sign Language degree. Awesome! I’m SO proud of her.

Almost all of us were there, and even my tios, Jorge and Marta, and my cousin George and his girlfriend came. Nice. It was pretty awesome.

Katie had us cracking up when she crossed the stage and they announced her name as Kathryn “Pina Colada” Morales. Hahaha!

“Pina Colada?” you ask. There’s a story behind that….

When Katie first submitted the paperwork to be a part of the graduation we found out that she was graduating Suma Cum Laude, which means that she “achieved 90% on the general scale, or highest honors...” My Mom was of course so proud. She proceeded to call work to make sure that if she was working the day of graduation that she could switch with someone. As per usual, with my Mom, she was bragging to whoever answered that her daughter was graduating Suma Cum Laude.

That was when my dad said one of the funniest things he’s said in a while. He said, sort of under his breath, that “she should have graduated Pina Co Lada.” I immediately started busting up! This then has become the running joke and therefore is why my sister just HAD to include it as her nickname when crossing the stage. Too good.

I’m so proud of you, Katie. You really worked hard for this and I know you will continue to work hard. I’m sure you have inspired some of us to go ahead and finish our schooling too. =)

Air high-five….

No comments: