Monday, June 28, 2010

Counterfeit Religion

This weekend I went to the Christening of my friends’ son at the Self Realization Fellowship in Pacific Palisades. No disrespect to my friends, but it was the strangest event I’ve EVER attended.

I have to admit, I kind of knew beforehand that this place was not exactly in-line with my beliefs, but I really didn’t expect it to be as extreme as it was. They literally prayed to over a dozen entities, in addition to “the Heavenly Father,” “Jesus Christ,” and “the Saints.” Basically they were trying to cover all their bases by being all-inclusive, even to the point of ending the prayer with not only an “amen,” but also an “om.” Yes. They were one of those “all paths lead to Heaven” kind of places.

From the moment the ceremony started, the Holy Spirit began to stir inside me. It was everything for me not to scream out how wrong the whole thing was… how false their teachings and beliefs are.

Apparently, the creator of this religion, Paramahamsa Yogananda, decided that if he took a little Jesus and sprinkled it in with his Yoga/Eastern Religious beliefs, it would appeal to a broader audience. Unfortunately, there are plenty of people out there ready and willing to eat this stuff up because it “sounds” right. The website says that he studied the four gospels and the life of Jesus, but there is no mention that he discovered that Jesus is God (not just a "spiritual teacher") and that He’s the only way to heaven. According to Yogananda, Christ’s teachings, in combination with Yoga/Eastern Religion, is the path to self-realization and being one with God.

Sorry, folks. That is so wrong. It’s Jesus or it’s Yoga/Eastern Religion. It’s not both:

"Jesus said, 'I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the father but through ME.'” John 14:6

He didn’t say, “I, along with yoga, meditation, etc., am the way to Heaven and enlightenment.”

(I’m wondering if Yogananda missed that part of the Gospels?)

So yeah. Needless to say, I DID NOT join in to their prayer, but had prayers of my own—prayers that my friends and all those under the control of these false beliefs would open up their eyes to the Truth.

"But there were also false prophets among the people, just as there will be false teachers among you. They will secretly introduce destructive heresies, even denying the sovereign Lord who bought them—bringing swift destruction on themselves. Many will follow their shameful ways and will bring the way of truth into disrepute. In their greed these teachers will exploit you with stories they have made up. Their condemnation has long been hanging over them, and their destruction has not been sleeping." 2 Peter 2:1-3

"For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear. They will turn their ears away from the truth and turn aside to myths." 2 Timothy 4:3-4

No comments: