Monday, June 22, 2009

The rest of the story....

Okay, so I didn't finish my story last time, but it's been a while since it all went down (and I'm just drained from it already) that now all I even want to get into is an abbreviated version of the story. So here it is....

Well, I was supposed to discuss everything that was happening with Liz that following Monday, but I ended up having to call in because the refriderator repair guy was supposed to come (which he never did, causing me to lose a whole day of work). So, I emailed Liz to try to explain myself even more, but to mostly apologize. She answered me back and basically said that she really cares about me, but is unsure anymore because she feels that:

- I am always criticizing both her religious and political beliefs.
- I think my beliefs are superior to hers.
- My heart is full of anger and hate (because I use the word hate a lot), to the point where she swears that I once said that I hate Obama and wish someone would kill him (I NEVER said anything of the sort, I can assure you)

My response in a nutshell was that I don't believe I am full of anger and hate, but that I am a very expressive person when I speak and tend to use the word hate a lot (i.e., "I HATE it when people do XXXX!"), but that I don't truly hate anyone in my heart. I don't believe that my beliefs are superior to hers, but I do believe that they are the truth--just like she probably believes the same about hers. I then told her that I believe that Catholics are also Christians, as in followers of Christ. I also told her that I was sorry that I gave her these impressions, but that she was justified in being angry with me.

Then I addressed the whole wanting Obama dead thing. I told her that I don't EVER recall making such a statement and that it's never even crossed my mind. I went on to say that I wouldn't even say such a thing in private.... even to people who I know would agree with that crap. I would never wish death upon anyone and would not want his wife or children to suffer like that.

I then went into how I know I have issues, but there are reasons behind them,not that they are excuses, and that I still have a long ways to go. I asked for forgiveness once again and for prayer, and I reiterated that I hoped that our frienship could move past this. I didn't get a response.

I went in on Tuesday. She invited me to lunch and I felt so much better, thinking that she was starting to forgive me, but then when we got to lunch she wouldn't even look at me. I figured she only asked if I wanted to go to be the "better person," but probably didn't think I would actually accept. Or maybe she just didn't realize that once I was in front of her face it wasn't going to be that easy to be around me. Who knows.

I could tell it was tense, but I just came praying and asking God to soften up her heart.

Then I overhear her (which I think was intentional) making plans for what I think is a 4th of July BBQ at her house. We've been planning a 4th of July BBQ at her house together with our other friend Nadia for the last few years. Well, this year, I'm not included apparently.

So, I don't know where we stand, but I do know that whether Liz wants to admit it to herself or not, she's angry with me.

I'm just going to keep praying.... for the Lord to keep refining me and for Him to soften up her heart and remind her (and me for that matter) that He has already forgiven us for far worse offenses....

No comments: