Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Give the kids a break....

Even though I don’t have children of my own, I have devoted a lot of my adult life to studying parenting… probably because it’s what I want to be most in this world. I know I will never be a perfect parent (we all jack our kids up). No one but God is. I do think, however, that I have a good idea (just an idea) of what it’s like, what to do, what not to do, etc. We’ll see for sure though when I finally have my own children. Then you all can wag your fingers at me. =)

For now though, I feel like sharing something the Lord put on my heart about parenting. It’s more of a reminder actually.

It seems like it’s very easy to become frustrated with your kids (I admit some of ya’ll’s kids can frustrate me a little too sometimes… lol). It doesn’t matter how much you love them, they, one way or another, manage to tick you off at one point. Sometimes it’s on purpose (as in, they just want to see how far they can push you or they just generally have a defiant nature), but most of the time it’s not intentional. Most of the time it’s because they are fairly new to this world, compared to us adults, and still don’t have much common sense. They are still learning that actions have consequences and to think before they do things (I’m still learning that one myself).

So, what’s the reminder? YOU/WE are not perfect. We have to remember that when we foul up God does not reject us, push us away, yell at us, humiliate us, or ask us why we didn’t think or use common sense. No. He disciplines us (consequences), He's patient with us, and He immediately opens up His arms to enfold us and forgives us. Point blank. There is no walking away from us or reminding us again and again later on about how we messed up. No. It’s over and forgotten.

Remember that, parents. Remember that when you get so heated up over something that in reality is so minor. Remember that when you see the look of rejection in your child's face. Remember that you are setting the tone for how this child is going to treat his/her children. Remember that you yourself are also a child of God who is still learning and growing and constantly screwing up.

MOST OF ALL: Remember just how awesome grace and forgiveness is…

No comments: