Monday, June 22, 2009

The Father's Gift: My Earthly Father

Yesterday was Father's day and I have to say one of the best ones this family has ever had. We had so much to celebrate. Not only do we have a great dad, but he has truly started on a new path in life where Jesus is the leader. The Lord is doing a great work in our father.

I hadn't mentioned this before because for some reason it wasn't that big of a deal to me (even though it really is a big deal). My father told me a couple weeks ago that there is a 30% chance that he may have Prostate Cancer. Usually people hear something like that and flip out, but I felt and still feel at peace about it. If he does have cancer, it is very likely the beginning stages and is treatable. I'm not worried.

My dad finally told my mom and sisters. My sisters freaked out a little, but I'm trying to remind them that 1) our days are numbered and we all will go when the Lord pleases, 2) the Lord is in control of all things, and 3) if this is what it took to get my dad to come back to the Lord, than it's a blessing, not a curse.

Yes, the idea of my father not walking me down the aisle or knowing my kids terrifies and hurts me, but if I had to trade that for his eternity in Heaven with his Creator, I wouldn't. I would rather he miss all those things and have a guarentee of us being together again with the Lord, then him being here for all those earthly things and then burning in hell. Truly. There is no room for selfishness here. This is his eternity we are talking about.

Anyway, we gathered together yesterday for Father's day and had a good meal, and then we held hands and prayed over my father. We prayed for protection from the enemy and we prayed for healing. I know the Lord was there and He heard our prayer. I know it. Now it's up to Him and His will.

All I know is that whatever the Lord's will, I love Him and I bless His name for giving us an awesome Dad who loves us and was always been there for us, even when he wasn't at his best. We have been luckier than most....

No comments: