Monday, October 21, 2013

Look around and be encouraged...

It’s so very hard for me to be discouraged right about now…. What with all the work I see God doing.  =)

Aside from the work God is doing in me right now, I’m seeing Him do work in the lives of other people I really care about.  It’s seriously astonishing, but at the same time, not surprising.  I serve THE mighty and powerful God of the universe after all. 

Two years ago this month I started working for the Department of Mental Health and became fast friends with a co-worker, Wendy.  She was a sweetheart and we both had very similar views on life.  She did not know Jesus though.   God crossed our paths for a purpose.  For me, she was a shoulder to lean on during a difficult time with someone who broke my heart.   In the midst of that situation, even though I’m sure I wasn’t always the greatest representative of Christ, I was able to show her what it is to have faith and lean on God during a trial.  Where God really used me to impact her, though, was when she was going through a trial of her own.  I was able to minister to her with the truth of God’s word.  When everyone else was telling her to give up and turn her back on the person who was hurting her, I encouraged her to forgive and pray for that person and to believe that God can redeem and change ANYONE.  I did my best to tell and show her that there is a God out there who loves her and wants the best for her.  I encouraged her to focus on her own relationship with God.  Well, God is so good and he uses even imperfect Christians like me to do His work. 

This last Easter she gave her life to Jesus.   This last August, the person with whom she was going through a major trial gave their life to Jesus.  Now they are both in love with Jesus.   All this because God put us in each other lives.  Today, she expressed gratitude for me in her life.   It wasn’t me.  It was Jesus.  I am the one who is thankful… thankful to be used by God in a small way to His glory and for His kingdom.  I am also thankful that our friendship does not have to end in this life.  Praise God!

Yesterday, I woke up discouraged about the situation with the Ex.  I was feeling fearful about what the future holds EVEN THOUGH God keeps showing me that things are going to be okay.   Well, I went to service and when I walked in, there he was.  I was shocked to see that standing next to him was his father.   This is a man who has struggled with alcohol.  This is a man who doesn’t (or didn’t?) know the Lord.  This is a man whose children have been praying for and ministering to him for a while now.  This is a man who almost died a month ago while on vacation in Mexico, but by the grace of God his family was able to fly down and get him home and is still with us.    To see him at church, let alone looking somewhat healthy, blessed me so much!

I immediately walked up to them, said hi to the Ex and then to his dad. I told his dad that I was so glad to see him there and that I had been praying for him.  He thanked me and then I sat down in the pew behind them.  All I could do the whole worship time was praise God for bringing this man to church.  The message was so perfect also.  There were elements for the Ex, his Dad, and me.   God was really present there. 

After service we walked out together along with my Ex’s brother.  It was nice because it’s been a while since the Ex and I have been able to talk and not be awkward with each other.  We chit-chatted a little and then that was when his father interjected.   He reiterated his thanks for all the prayers and expressed the belief that they were what kept him alive.  I told him that not only did I pray, but I had my whole family praying for him.  I could see the sheer gratitude on his face.  Then he told me something that made me tear up:  He was so scared to die alone in Mexico.  Oh man.   We talked some more and then he told me that this was the second time in his life that he almost died.  

Now this is when God did something. 

I looked this man straight in the eye and I said, “So what is God telling you?”   He paused and I could see his mind working.   Then I went on:  “He’s saying, ‘I love you…. I want you.  I want you.’” 

What happen next surprised not only me, but his sons who were standing there.  This macho Mexican man broke down crying.   Of course, I then started crying.  It was way too much emotion going on in front of the doors of our church.  LOL!   His sons hugged him and all I could say was, “look how lucky you are to have a family who loves you so much.”   It really was a beautiful moment.   It was a God moment and, again, I was so thankful to be used by God in such a small way to impact a life for His kingdom.  I know… I KNOW… God is calling this man.  He is calling the whole family.  I feel so blessed to witness it happen.

On top of the blessing of seeing God touch a man’s heart, it was so encouraging to know that no matter what happens with the Ex and I, there is so much love between this family and I.  I was happy to show my Ex just how much he and his family mean to me.  God just continues to show me that He has this situation in His hands and He WILL honor our obedience and redeem the time that has been lost. 

How can I not be encouraged right now?  Praise Jesus!!!

No comments: