Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Get onboard...

Wowsers!  This last weekend was crazy! 

For a while now I have felt something stirring in my spirit.  The breakup left me feeling this overwhelming need and hunger for God to just refine me and change me.  I spoke to a dear sister, Angelina, not too long ago about it and we talked about what God was doing in our lives.  We both shared a sense that he was working in us and our group of friends, all of whom serve and/or regularly attend a young adult group at our church called The Vine.  I told her that I felt like God was preparing all of us for something big.   I described it like this:  We are all on this train headed for the same destination, but God has assigned each of us a different seat with a  different view.  He is doing a work in each of us on an individual basis to prepare us for the same destination.

Well, cut to this last Friday—the night of The Vine—where we all got some somewhat unexpected news.   The Vine is no more.  It’s shutting down.  What?!!! 

Robert, our leader at The Vine (mini-pastor, if you will), explained that our Pastor, David Rosales, asked him to take over Sunday night chapel.  That is huge.  As a result though, he asked that the Vine be shut down.  Pastor David and Robert have a vision of a Sunday night study that is geared toward the young adult crowd, but not necessarily limited to only the young crowd.   They want us to come along for the ride and step up to serve at this new ministry. 

Despite how willing we all were to support Robert in this, I can’t tell you the number of expressions of disappointments from so many of us.  I literally said, “I’m not okay with this!”  lol.    To say The Vine ministry has blessed us is an understatement of epic proportions.  I know what it has done in my life alone.  For some it’s been the place they go to avoid trouble—the bars, the clubs, etc.  For all of us, it’s been a place of growth.  We have built a family there.   We were all completely side-swiped by this news.    We were none too happy. 

But….. Then we settled ourselves down.   Angelina and I left that night talking about everything that was to come.  As we discussed it, God brought our prior conversation to my remembrance.   Wait a minute!  We had sensed that something big was coming for this group.  We had sensed that God was working in us toward the same destination.  This is that destination.  This is a new opportunity.   It’s a new adventure.   God is calling us for more.  He is calling us to step outside of our safety bubble.  He’s shaking things up.  It’s not the end, but a new beginning. 

God does not call us to comfort zones.  He calls us to discomfort zones.  He calls us to keep moving forward, onward, upward toward that higher calling.  He calls us to sacrifice, die to ourselves, be fishers of men.  We have to be ready and willing.   This is all for Him.  It belongs to Him.  It’s His ministry.  It’s His church.   Time to get down to the nitty gritty. 

Lord, use me.  Do what you want with me.  Thank You for shaking things up.  Thank You for this awakening in my heart.  I do want more.  I want change.  I want to bring glory to Your Name and Your Kingdom.   

No comments: