Wednesday, November 18, 2009

What’s said on the road to Phoenix, stays on the road to Phoenix…

Okay, so I said that I would write about my interesting trip to Phoenix last weekend. Well, actually I don’t want to infer that it was a negative experience by saying that it was “interesting.” I actually had quite a good time, I have to say, but it sure started out a little awkward.

The girl I went with is a friend that I know through another close friend (whom we will call “Ms. M”). Lately these two friends have not been speaking to each other for what I thought were very minor and trivial (in my opinion) reasons. So, I was actually contemplating bringing it up and suggesting that it be squashed. Before I could say anything—before I could get on the freeway to head out of town, actually—my traveling friend (we’ll call her “Ms. J”) brought it up.

Ms. J’s story behind why they are not speaking was quite different from what I thought was the reason behind their spat. I won’t get into the details, but I will say that they included the person we were visiting in Arizona (who’s in jail by the way) and me… and in a very awkward (mostly for me) way. She clarified that the person she was mad at was Ms. M and not me by any means, but still. I was scared this was going to set the tone for the whole trip.

Thankfully, it did not. Phew! Because all I could think was, “Great, I’ve been sucked into the middle of some drama and now I have to spend the weekend with someone who is going to be brooding and who may secretly harbor some sort of resentment towards me.” Thankfully, again, it did not go down like that. We talked about it and then it was over and out of our minds (well, I know it was out of mine at least).

We ended up having a great time. We went out to eat, chilled out in out hotel room, watched The Proposal (I admit, I laughed), and had a nice visit with the jailbird (lol). We totally bonded and came back even closer friends.

So… it actually was a pretty successful trip, all drama aside. Except now Ms. M is sending me message after message asking how the trip went and telling me to call her. Why do I think Ms. M is going to grill me on what Ms. J might have said about her during out trip to Phoenix?

Well, I’ve decided that I’m just going to keep my mouth shut and play the dummy, like I have no idea why they are not friends other than for the reasons given to me by Ms. M originally. I DO NOT want to be stuck in the middle of these two friends or be sucked into the drama. I’m too grown for all this…

No comments: