Monday, November 2, 2009

Financial Bondage

The phrase I most use lately is “I’m broke!” It’s my answer to every question. “Do you want to go out to lunch with me?” “Nope... I’m broke.” “Can you come down and hang out this weekend?” “Nope... I’m broke.” (Okay, I've been managing to go anyway, but you better believe I don't spend very much money when I'm away from home.) It’s sad but true.

Why is that the most frequently-used phrase in my lexicon right now? Well, I worked it out and found that 65% of my take-home pay goes towards bills and debt (feels like more than that) and the rest to gas, groceries, and other minor emergencies. That is a lot of money that is not going into my pocket, savings, or to the Kingdom of God. I’ve even been scrimping on my tithes lately. I am definitely NOT giving the full 10%. All of this is not okay and it’s my fault!

The Bible clearly warns us about debt:

Do not be a man who strikes hands in pledge or puts up security for debts; if you lack the means to pay, your very bed will be snatched from under you. Proverbs 22:26-27

The rich rule over the poor, and the borrower is servant to the lender. Proverbs 22:7

Let no
debt remain outstanding, except the continuing debt to love one another, for he who loves his fellowman has fulfilled the law. Romans 13:8


And so many more….

God, through the Bible, gives us commandments that are for our own good! He loves us and wants the best for us, but also wants us to be free to serve Him. Part of serving Him is giving back that with which He has blessed us. How can you do that when you have to hand it off to someone else every month. That’s horrible. “Sorry, Lord. I can’t give You what is rightfully Yours, because I was selfish in the past and needed to have something RIGHT NOW.”

So, now not only am I not to able to give the Lord what He deserves (thereby being disobedient), I can now barely even get the things I need for myself. All because I was impatient and needed things in the moment instead of saving and waiting for them. The even sadder thing is that most of the things that were bought with other people’s money are things that I no longer have or can partake in. So in the long run, it was a big waste times two. A big waste in that I no longer have those things and can enjoy them AND in that I am now paying for them at a much higher price than what they were originally sold for… again, all because I couldn’t wait.

I could kick myself times two… lol

The light at the end of the tunnel though, is that within the next year and a half or so, I should be out of a large bulk of this debt. I’m working on a plan that's already giving me good results and I’m focused on making sure I see it through. I can’t wait for the day when most of my take home pay will go to my pocket, savings, and most importantly to the Lord and His kingdom!

Let this be a lesson to anyone who reads this! =)

If you find yourself in a lot of debt and don't know what to do, ChristianPF.com's Getting Out of Debt articles are a really good place to start.... aside from the Bible of course.

No comments: