Friday, April 2, 2010

The Sin of Depression

Last night in Bible Study the ladies got into a discussion about depression. Is it clinical? Is it sin? They all seemed to say that it was a little of both.

I disagree. It's pure and simple, sin. Period.

I have struggled with depression since I can remember... pretty much always. I used to think it was something out of my control. I used to think it was some affliction that I couldn't just "snap out of." I justified it left and right so that I wouldn't have to take responsibility for it.

The Lord, in the last few years, has shown me otherwise.

Depression isn't the result of of some genetic pre-disposition. It's a choice we make. It's a frame of mind. It's the result of listening and even clinging to the lies of the enemy. It's a form of self-centeredness. It's focusing on yourself instead of the Lord and His TRUTH and promises.... truths and promises that are scattered all over His Word.

I used to believe all kinds of lies. They ranged from self-pity to self-righteousness.

"I am a horrible person and I don't deserve to be happy."

"I am a good Christian. I don't have sex. I don't steal. I don't deserve to be unhappy all the time. I have't done anything wrong."

LIES. All lies.

The Bible says that if we cling to the Lord he will bring us joy, peace, blessings, etc. (John 15:11, Acts 2:28, Romans 5:1, Romans 15:13, Galatians 5:22)

The Bible says that we ALL sin and fall short of the glory of God--we are ALL sinners. (Psalms 51:1-5, Romans 3:10, Romans 3:23)

What is the cure to Depression? Choosing not to feed into these lies. Putting God and His will before our own. Rejoicing ALWAYS and in EVERY CIRCUMSTANCE--good or bad:


Rejoice in the Lord always. I will say it again: Rejoice! Philippians 4:4



As well as, clinging to the TRUTH of the Word of God and His promises that He will not forsake us and that He wants the best for us:


...God has said, "Never will I leave you; never will I forsake you." Hebrews 13:5b

"For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future." Jeremiah 29:11

I will never be perfect. I still struggle with self-pity at times. Depression is the burden that I was given and it's up to me to fight it. If I fall back into it, it's no one's fault but my own. I have a choice...

No comments: