Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Haiti

I'm reading the news, like this article, and my heart breaks for the utter devastation and loss of life after the magnitude 7.0 earthquake that hit Haiti yesterday. Other articles are showing pictures of the mess, including dead bodies. It's so increadibly heart-wrenching. I can't help but cry.

I wish I could go and help because that's what they need. As an interviewer spoke with a lady in Haiti, these were here words to the world: "We are going to need help re-building, but right now we need search and rescue. I repeat, we need search and rescue."

*sigh* It was like a mayday call. SO SAD.

I finally came across this article, which lists ways to donate. I decided to donate $10 to the Red Cross Relief Fund for Haiti by texting "Haiti" to 90999. It's a great way to donate because you don't have to provide a credit card number or get on the phone with anyone--it's instant. The $10 is charged to your cell phone bill.

Won't you join me and do the same? If we all give $10, that will add up to a lot of relief money. It's not as good as going and physically helping, but it's better than nothing...

God is our refuge and strength, an ever-present help in trouble. Therefore we will not fear, though the earth give way and the mountains fall into the heart of the sea, though its waters roar and foam and the mountains quake with their surging. Psalms 46:1-3

No comments: