Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Bless the broken road...

I set out on a narrow way
Many years ago
Hoping I would find true love
Along the broken road
But I got lost a time or two
Wiped my brow and kept pushing through
I couldn't see how every sign
Pointed straight to you

Every long lost dream led me to where you are
Others who broke my heart
They were just northern stars
Pointing me on my way
Into your loving arms
This much I know is true
That God blessed the broken road
And led me straight to you

I think about the years I spentJust passing through
I'd like to take the time I lost
And give it back to you
But you just smile and take my hand
You've been there, you understand
It's all part of his grander plan
That is coming true

(From Bless the Broken Road by Selah)

This song has been on my mind left and right. I’ve heard it before, but never thought twice about it. It was released by Rascal Flats a couple years ago, and I’m not a big country music fan, so I sort of ignored it. Well, since Mom moved in and commandeered the TV, I decided to dust off my Season 1 of Dawson’s Creek (that was my show!) and watch it on the spare TV. On the very last episode, right when Dawson has realized that he loves Joey and goes searching for her, they play the song in the background. Don’t ask me why, but I started to cry. For the first time I really listened to the words.

Since that day, I can’t get the words out of my head. I’m constantly humming it or even singing it, and I hear it everywhere. The siblings of an addict on A&E's Intervention sang it on the show. A guy even sang it last night on the American Idol auditions. Lol

When I sing it though, I sing it to God. I feel like this song perfectly articulates my relationship with Jesus. As the song says, I’ve spent a lot of my life on a “broken road,” searching for “true love.” “I couldn’t see how every sign pointed straight to” my Lord.

The whole Chorus reads just like the last couple of years of my life:

Every long lost dream led me to where you are

Others who broke my heart

They were just northern stars

Pointing me on my way

Into your loving arms

This much I know is true

That God blessed the broken road

And led me straight to you


I guess this is why I cry when I think of or hear this song. It describes the love story between Jesus and me. Nothing and no one ended up doing for me what He does. HE is my true love. It is a broken road we all have to travel to get to God, but when we look back we can see that it was all worth it because it took us directly to Him.

Thank you, Lord, for blessing the broken road that let me straight to You. You were there to take my hand and You do understand (because You know what it is to be tempted, rejected, etc.). It WAS all part of Your grander plan that is coming true...

No comments: