Wednesday, October 14, 2009

The "V" word

I just came across this old Boundless article on Virginity. It's good. This stood out to me:

The last time I remember seeing one of our kind positively portrayed on television was, I believe, back in the late 80s. I'm not saying there haven't been others since then. In fact, I recently learned there is just such a character (a young, male Christian cop) on the hour-long drama The District. So, two in 20 years — not exactly record-breaking. However, the last one I personally remember was more than a decade ago. It was the bend-the-rules drama L.A. Law, and they introduced a beautiful, committed Christian woman who unashamedly admitted she was still a virgin. The show got a lot of press as a result, but it certainly didn't lead to a spin-off series about just such a character.

Ellen comes out of the closet and she's hailed as a bold spokesperson for her, as they say, sexual orientation. One of ours makes a statement supporting abstinence and she gets scrunched up noses and confused glares. The Miss America organization told the 2002 winner, Erika Harold, to shut up about her message of chastity. "I will not be bullied," was Harold's reply and, to her credit, pageant officials quickly backed down from their narrow-minded restrictions. Still, it's clearly not politically correct to preach abstinence.

Nope, let's face it. Either we proudly proclaim that our lifestyle choice of abstinence is good and honorable and holy, and accept the consequences, come what may, or we become just like the world — indulging in a sexual free-for-all that can only lead to pain, disappointment and self-esteem decimated by the knowledge (even if it's only an undefined feeling deep down) that we've cheapened something that was meant to be so much better.


Man, does this speak to me. I'm tired of being treated like some kind of freak because I'm a 28-year-old Virgin. AND? They act like something is "wrong" with me and that's why I'm still a virgin. Trust me, folks, if I wanted to get some, I could get some. It's not about that!

And the author is right. You can come out to the world with any kind of alternative sexual lifestyle or confess to sleeping with your co-workers on national television (David Letterman), and no one bats an eye. You say you are a virgin, and all of a sudden defenses run high and you are being attacked by people who barely know you. Why do you care so much about MY sex life, or lack thereof?

Why? Guilt. Period.

Life isn't all that fulfilling and drama-fee afterall with free sex in it, is it? Who wants to admit they made a mistake though? Not too many. It's better to go after the person who's doing what you secretly wish you would have done... You know all too well that you gave away your gift and can't get it back.

Well, don't shame me for your mistakes! Accept them, ask for forgiveness, forgive yourself, and change. Every mistake can be righted with the love and mercy of God... Giving ME a hard time about it isn't going to fix anything, especially because I'm not the perfect goody-goody you think that I think I am... I've got my own guilt and sins to worry about.

No comments: